Accenture plc is an Irish-domiciled worldwide organization that provides counseling and professional services. A Fortune Global 500 organization detailed revenues of $44.33 billion in 2020 and had 569,000 employees. In 2015, the firm had around 150,000 workers in India, 48,000 in the US, and 50,000 in the Philippines. Accenture’s present customers incorporate 91 of the Fortune Global 100 and more than three-quarters of the Fortune Global 500.
The services that Accenture provides follow:
- Accenture Strategy provides business strategy, technology strategy and operations strategy services.
- Accenture Consulting provides technology, business and management consulting.
- Accenture Interactive (formerly Digital) provides digital marketing, analytics and mobility services.
- Accenture Technology focuses on technology software, implementation, delivery, and research & development, including its Technology Labs for emerging technologies.
- Accenture focuses on an “as-a-service” model of service delivery. This includes business processing outsourcing, IT services, cloud services, manages operations and security.
Culture at Accenture
Accenture is a firm that prioritizes social issues such as climate change and acts against it. They aspire to be a sustainable company, transforming the global economy into one that works for the benefit of all.
- They want to achieve net-zero emissions by 2025: They intend to focus on actual reductions across the scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and invest in nature-based solutions to remove carbon from the atmosphere. They will focus first on substantial reductions in their emissions by powering their offices with 100% renewable energy, engaging key suppliers to reduce their emissions, and equipping their people to make climate-smart travel decisions.
- By 2025, they will re-use or recycle all their e-waste and office furniture. They are committed to eliminating single-use plastics in their locations post-COVID. They are committed to eliminating single-use plastics in their sites after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- By 2025, they will develop plans to reduce the impact of flooding, drought and water scarcity on their business and their people in high-risk areas. They will also immediately begin to measure and reduce water use in those locations.
- Accelerating environmental sustainability, to reach their net-zero goals by 2025, they increased their mix of renewable electricity to 30% in fiscal 2020, an improvement over their 26% renewable electricity rate in fiscal 2019.
Strategy towards science-based targets
Accenture is to be the largest professional services company with a goal aligned to the Science-Based Targets initiative. By 2025, they aim to reduce their absolute greenhouse gas emissions by 11%, their scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 65% and scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions per unit of revenue intensity by 40%. Their progress against those goals in 2020:
- Total emissions, reflecting short-term impacts of the pandemic, decreased by 32% from the baseline, exceeding one aspect of the 2025 target.
- Scope 1 and 2 were reduced by 39%
- Emissions per unit of revenue were reduced by 45%
Cognizant is an American multinational technology company that provides business consulting, information technology and outsourcing services. It is headquartered in Teaneck, New Jersey, United States. Cognizant is part of the NASDAQ-100 and trades under CTSH.
- Cognizant provides information technology, information security, consulting, ITO and BPO services. These include business & technology consulting.
- Cognizant has three areas that make up their business: digital business, Digital Operations, and Digital Systems & Technology.
- According to the services cognizant provides, they use various technological softwares such as systems integration, application development & maintenance, and IT infrastructure services.
- Artificial Intelligence, Digital Engineering, analytics, business intelligence, data warehousing, customer relationship management, supply chain management, engineering & manufacturing solutions, enterprise resource planning, research and development outsourcing, and testing solutions.
Culture at Cognizant
The culture at cognizant involves their many charities to the sector. Cognizant’s great and corporate social responsibility (CSR) drives are directed through the Cognizant employees for the monetary and authoritative help of the Cognizant Foundation. Enlisted in March 2005 as a “Charitable Company” under the Indian Companies Act, the Cognizant Foundation aims to help “unprivileged members of society access quality education and healthcare by offering monetary and specialized help; planning and executing instructive and medical care improvement programs; and banding together with government organizations (NGOs), educational organizations, medical services establishments, government agencies, and corporations”. Cognizant has a grassroots corporate social responsibility project called Outreach, for which Cognizant’s employees volunteer to support schools and orphanages.
Controversies at Cognizant
However, the firm is also involved in multiple controversies such as:
- Larsen and Toubro Ltd (L&T) offered million in bribes to Indian government authorities on behalf of Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp. to get grants and secure permits, going from ecological freedom to power. L&T has made illegal installments, and Cognizant reimbursed the money by masking it as compensation for cost overruns.
- In 2018 a race discrimination suit was shown to light: “Three hundred former employees guarantee that they were constrained out of their positions and replaced with ‘less qualified’ Indians subsequent to being ineffectively treated by their Indian administrators and partners, given ridiculously low-performance ratings and denied promotions.” Cognizant said it was “national origin” and not race.
- Regarding the working conditions, in February 2018, the UK and Irish press expressed worries about workers employed by Cognizant in Dublin as a component of the outsourcing contract with Google about the states of work corresponding to compensation and total business remittances like sick leave.